Δευτέρα 24 Νοεμβρίου 2008


Macedonian princess Berenice conquered
the four-horse chariot game in the Olympics.
Posidippus, Epigrams, Pap. Mil. Vogl. VIII 309

Hippika

AB 78 (XII 20-33) Tell, you poets, of my glory, if you sometimes like to say what is known,
that my renown is of ancient origin.
For with the chariot my forefather Ptolemy won victory
upon driving the horses in Pisa's hippodrome,
and the mother of my father Berenike.
With the chariot again my father gained victory,
king, son of a king,with the same name as his father.
And Arsinoe gained all three victories together from the same session.
Holy family of women ...
... virginal ...These glories with the chariot Olympia looked upon from one house

and sons of sons bearing away the prize.
Sing, Macedonians, of Berenike's crown, the ruler queen,
conquered with the full grown four-horse chariot.

(Translated by M। Fantuzzi)


AB 78 (XII 20-33)


Recount, oh ye poets, my glory, if ever it pleases you
to tell of what is known, as my renown is ancient;
for with the chariot my forefather Ptolemy won
driving his horses through the stadion of Pisa,
and Berenice, my father’s mother.
With the chariot again my father scored victory,
a king descended from a king,named after his father.
And in a single competition Arsinoe
scored all three victories for harnessed races;
I now honor the holy family of my father … of women … virginal …
These victories from a single house Olympia saw
and the children's children were heralded victors with their chariots.
Sing, Macedonians, of Berenice’s crown who conquered
with the full-grown four-horse chariot

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: